Higher Mileages - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Higher Mileages

I thought it might be interesting to see who has been putting a lot of miles/kilometers onto their new 790
Has anyone done more than 10000 kilometers/6250 miles?
How has the bike stood up to this?

Mine has almost 4000 miles showing and it will not be doing much <1000 miles over the next 4 months

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheronetoday View Post
I thought it might be interesting to see who has been putting a lot of miles/kilometers onto their new 790
Has anyone done more than 10000 kilometers/6250 miles?
How has the bike stood up to this?

Mine has almost 4000 miles showing and it will not be doing much <1000 miles over the next 4 months
I have around 10000km, don’t remember the exact number.
The bike is working fine (fingers crossed), apart from the usual quirks (coolant liquid, false neutral ect..), last month of riding. Will see next year how it holds up with another 10tkm, don’t think I will be keeping the bike after 30tkm driven.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMatu View Post
I have around 10000km, donít remember the exact number.
The bike is working fine (fingers crossed), apart from the usual quirks (coolant liquid, false neutral ect..), last month of riding. Will see next year how it holds up with another 10tkm, donít think I will be keeping the bike after 30tkm driven.
I thought your mileage would be up there
lets see if anyone else has pushed their 790 further
do you always limit to 30,000Km

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I thought your mileage would be up there
lets see if anyone else has pushed their 790 further
do you always limit to 30,000Km
No i dont, but to be honest i am a bit afraid, the newly made 790 engine might start having issues after 20-30tkm (i do push it hard) and having only one season of warranty left i am not sure i want to take that risk.
Then there is the electronics, if problems start to occur after the warranty-> it will get mighty expensive.
That is why i am slightly upset KTM do not sell extensive warranty in Finland.
My personal reliability scale begins with Honda and ends with Ducati. Unfortunately Ktm is not at the top on my list at this moment. The 2 year warranty does not help the matter either.
Lets say a Honda cb1000r, with an engine that has been in production for years, with a great reputation and on top of that 4/5 years warranty would keep my mind absolutely stress free! That bike i would easily push towards the 60-80tkm mark.
I love KTM for its bold race approach and i have had the pleasure of owning 3 Ktm bikes so far. Of-course i have my fingers crossed for a 790 supermoto with 180kg wet weight, cruise control and 4 years warranty-> so i could trash it up to 50-60tkm mark.
One can only hope and dream!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
No i dont, but to be honest i am a bit afraid, the newly made 790 engine might start having issues after 20-30tkm (i do push it hard) and having only one season of warranty left i am not sure i want to take that risk.
Then there is the electronics, if problems start to occur after the warranty-> it will get mighty expensive.
That is why i am slightly upset KTM do not sell extensive warranty in Finland.
My personal reliability scale begins with Honda and ends with Ducati. Unfortunately Ktm is not at the top on my list at this moment. The 2 year warranty does not help the matter either.
Lets say a Honda cb1000r, with an engine that has been in production for years, with a great reputation and on top of that 4/5 years warranty would keep my mind absolutely stress free! That bike i would easily push towards the 60-80tkm mark.
I love KTM for its bold race approach and i have had the pleasure of owning 3 Ktm bikes so far. Of-course i have my fingers crossed for a 790 supermoto with 180kg wet weight, cruise control and 4 years warranty-> so i could trash it up to 50-60tkm mark.
One can only hope and dream!
with dreams like this I hope you can cope with disappointment
the highest I have pushed a modern bike in mileage is 86,000miles 136,000Km
to be honest minimum warranties should be 5 years 50,000miles, these days my annual leisure mileage of 8,000 is shared across a number of bikes

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
with dreams like this I hope you can cope with disappointment
the highest I have pushed a modern bike in mileage is 86,000miles 136,000Km
to be honest minimum warranties should be 5 years 50,000miles, these days my annual leisure mileage of 8,000 is shared across a number of bikes
Agreed, 2 year warranty on modern bikes with current electronics packages is quite ridiculous. Sometimes it makes me feel as if companies have lack of believe in their own products.
Heyaa my dream is not far of with the new 690 smcr update! now if they could only add cruise control as extra and extended warranty goddammit
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Wish You Were Here

Garage
when you realise most bikes do less than 3000 miles a year they are saying they do not trust their quality beyond 6000 miles.....really!
but I suppose we are to blame, we buy them and they get away with it.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
when you realise most bikes do less than 3000 miles a year they are saying they do not trust their quality beyond 6000 miles.....really!
but I suppose we are to blame, we buy them and they get away with it.
Yep, and Ktm bikes are not exactly bought for the aesthetics (to sit around in garage and be looked upon, or then i missed something), they are made for HC riding!
Especially the off-road bikes, getting all that dirt, wet and mud on them wires and sensors, issues just waiting to happen.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 03:11 AM
LemonLaw'dMy790D

Location: North Sea, Texas, Venezuela...... Wherever there is oil
Quote:
The bike is working fine (fingers crossed), apart from the usual quirks (coolant liquid, .....................),
Could you give me more info.
Are you suffering from a constant coolant loss from expansion tank by any chance?
AMatu likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Agreed, 2 year warranty on modern bikes with current electronics packages is quite ridiculous. Sometimes it makes me feel as if companies have lack of believe in their own products.

After a lifetime in electronics I find this quite an odd comment, electronic boxes like the ECU and ABS etc are like any other processing unit (your phone, TV, pc or car) and will normally fail within 3 months, if they don't fail early they will probably last the life of the bike.

Sensors are a little different and can almost be treated as disposable, most sensors KTM use are probably the same as what are used on many different makes of cars and bikes so can hardly be the fault of KTM if they fail. The only electrical device I would be concerned about for reliability is the fuel pump - and that is common to almost every make of bike and car on the market.

Out of around 40 bikes I've owned the most unreliable make by far was Honda, followed closely by Suzuki.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page