First Major Service - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

First Major Service

So we all can agree that at the 1000km or 630 miles first run-in service interval we can choose to do this on our own. It's just a glorified oil and filter change. I did this myself. I haven't looked closely at the manual but when is the first real major service that needs to be done?

Thanks
Vu
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 02:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vu Le View Post
So we all can agree that at the 1000km or 630 miles first run-in service interval we can choose to do this on our own. It's just a glorified oil and filter change. I did this myself. I haven't looked closely at the manual but when is the first real major service that needs to be done?

Thanks
Vu
The dealer is supposed to re-calibrate the QS as part of the service.

2019 KTM Duke 790
2015 Ducati Monster 821
2002 Honda XR400R
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 03:10 PM

Location: Maryville Tennessee; at the tip of the Tail of The Dragon
There are a few things at 9,300 miles that were not on the list for the initial service, but what I would call 'major' service (valve check and change plugs) is at 18,600 miles.

I am surprised at the 9,300 mile oil change interval. But it does call for it every year anyway.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

What is "QS"?

I purchased inexpensive oil filters from eBay. I have to keep an eye on the quality of these filters to make sure that they are not "cheap". I will need to take the filter out after 3000-4000 miles to see how it is performing.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 06:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vu Le View Post
What is "QS"?
QuickShifter

2019 KTM Duke 790
2015 Ducati Monster 821
2002 Honda XR400R
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 06:28 PM

I picked mine up from 600 miles service today. Left over 2019 so it sat for a year. Zero software updates. So oil change, tire pressure set, chain tension checked all for $360 USD. Do yourself a favor and do your own oil change.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
I picked mine up from 600 miles service today. Left over 2019 so it sat for a year. Zero software updates. So oil change, tire pressure set, chain tension checked all for $360 USD. Do yourself a favor and do your own oil change.
Software updates should be god **** free of charge.
Is there a way to find out whether my software is the latest or not? If I'm pissed off enough, I'm going to release my wife on them. She's an attorney. She's going to be pissed if I tell her that I have to pay the dealer for a software update for my new motorcycle. I'm from California so this is a pro-consumer state. Plus, there is always the State of California Insurance (warranty) department. Basically, I'm guessing my wife will communicate the following in a very polite attorney way, "Look, I would appreciate it if you can tell that KTM dealer to update my husband's KTM 790 Duke. It's easy, right? Or you can send your in-house attorney to appear at the small claims hearing? Great! When should I tell my husband to take the 790 over? BTW, he loves the bike."
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 07:07 PM

I did my own oil change and had the dealer check for codes/updates/reset the service light and adjust the chain. I think the ECU related service was around $50 and the chain maintenance was $20. Apparently you can reset the service light without using the KTM scan tool so I'll be doing that myself next time around.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachItUp View Post
I did my own oil change and had the dealer check for codes/updates/reset the service light and adjust the chain. I think the ECU related service was around $50 and the chain maintenance was $20. Apparently you can reset the service light without using the KTM scan tool so I'll be doing that myself next time around.
I don't get it. KTM should pay its dealers to update its bikes software. Why do we have to pay the dealer to update the software? I guess I have to call KTM to find out for sure.

2019 KTM 790 Duke (This bike makes all of my other street bikes irrelevant)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

So I just got off the phone with the KTM dealer locally. They confirmed that the customer needs to pay for any updates to the software. Well, I disagree, and I'm pissed. This is not right, and it's not fair. If my car needs an update to the software during the warranty period, the dealer performs the update without charge. They charge it to the manufacturer. I'm going to call the State insurance department to find out if this is legal. It's the principle.

Well, the dealer called me back and told me that doing just the software update, it would be $55 for half-hour work. I still don't like it but the price is not egregious.

2019 KTM 790 Duke (This bike makes all of my other street bikes irrelevant)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page