Best tyres - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Best tyres

Ok. guys a lot of people saying standard tyres are not to good, If thats the case what's the best sort of allround tyre for uk cheers
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 04:45 PM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
Ok. guys a lot of people saying standard tyres are not to good, If thats the case what's the best sort of allround tyre for uk cheers
Good question @Cornishman - here's an entire thread on tyres ... lots of discussion and some track focussed riders from other climes so hard to say what's best for UK roads.

After reading it all through these are the ones I've shortlisted to look at for my UK road use when I change the OEMs:
  • Michelin Road 5
  • Metzeler Sportec M7RR / Sportec 01
  • Metzeler Sportec 01
  • Bridgestone S22
  • Continental Road Attack 3
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 01:36 AM

Road 5 👍
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 04:47 AM
SuperDuker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman View Post
STD tires are generally ok, not suitable for track duty but an ok tire. UK roads, wet weather riding? Conti Road Attacks followed by PR5s, but the Conti is a better tire over all. S22 or M7RR if your into track days.
dma likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 02:14 PM

I wasn't going to respond because this topic can go sideways really fast.
Look. Unless you are Street Rossi, I'm 100% sure the standard tires that came with the bike is perfectly fine. If it was unsafe, KTM will never put it on the bike.
With that said, don't waste money buying another set of tires until the current set is worn.
So start doing burn-outs!
dma, colombo and Cornishman like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 02:32 PM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vu Le View Post
I wasn't going to respond because this topic can go sideways really fast.
Look. Unless you are Street Rossi, I'm 100% sure the standard tires that came with the bike is perfectly fine. If it was unsafe, KTM will never put it on the bike.
With that said, don't waste money buying another set of tires until the current set is worn.
So start doing burn-outs!
Well said - I'm going to run mine until they need replacing then have a look at what's out there. Think I'll get another season out of the OEM rubber.
Cornishman likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 02:58 PM
SuperDuker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma View Post
Well said - I'm going to run mine until they need replacing then have a look at what's out there. Think I'll get another season out of the OEM rubber.
Im on my 3rd set of tires in less than a year. KTM would have gone for that stock tire for its price point. They are a good tire, stable, a little more neutral compared to the sharp steering S22. You save fifty dollars a bike on 10,000 bikes, it adds up.
dma likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 03:05 PM
dma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Im on my 3rd set of tires in less than a year. KTM would have gone for that stock tire for its price point. They are a good tire, stable, a little more neutral compared to the sharp steering S22. You save fifty dollars a bike on 10,000 bikes, it adds up.
Impressive @DaveNZ - you do must ride further or harder (or both) than me in a season! Admittedly it was a short one for me last year.

I wish this crap weather in the UK would abate it's been so wet the last few months - currently howling yet another gale outside - the rivers by me have been in flood three times since Christmas. I'm itching to get out again and start riding again.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Impressive @DaveNZ - you do must ride further or harder (or both) than me in a season! Admittedly it was a short one for me last year.

I wish this crap weather in the UK would abate it's been so wet the last few months - currently howling yet another gale outside - the rivers by me have been in flood three times since Christmas. I'm itching to get out again and start riding again.
I'm sorry. In California, we have twelve months to ride.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 07:10 PM
SuperDuker

Quote:

Most of NZ is in drought mode at the mo here in NZ, but last night we got our first good rain in over 2 months, its been hot here, lots of riding and I've done 3 track days this summer season so far and got 2 more booked before the end of March before we head into Autumn. I also ride all year round, i also have the Multistrada (84,000kms) KTM 1290GT (42,000kms) and a 1954 BSA, (not many miles) I've done around 8,000kms on the 790 so far this last year. (i use the other bikes more as tourers etc) I also have to fit fishing time in and some work to help pay for all my vices.
dma and YoungLion like this.

Last edited by DaveNZ; 02-21-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page