2020 superduke 1290R - wonder if mirrors will work on 790 - Page 2 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 12Likes

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 08:50 PM
VIP Member

Nice Aerostich!
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddhollander View Post
On my test drive I noticed that I mostly see my shoulders with the stock mirrors. I am 6'5", 220 lbs.
Are the Super Duke mirrors a bit wider than the stock mirrors?

A bit wider with a little more mirror surface area. They are taller than the stock mirrors.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the pics fix!
The 'stich is industrial for sure but so versatile.
(From my GS days)
EvansB2 likes this.

Last edited by toddhollander; 01-26-2020 at 09:31 AM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 01:33 PM
SuperDuker

You look large for the 790, 1290 may suit your size better. For upgrades id say suspension. First part of the 790 suspension travel is very soft, then becomes harsher, you are going to use up all the soft progressive part of the travel with your size, so heavier fixed rate springs will be your first port of call, with re-valving to suit. KTM tried hard to make the bike suit all, but the first part of the travel is squishy.

Last edited by DaveNZ; 01-26-2020 at 01:38 PM.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-26-2020, 02:45 PM

I agree with your thoughts about the suspension, I am looking into the WP Apex upgrade with proper spring weights for my 240 lbs. with full gear. (I actually weighed myself last night with ATG)
After a test ride I don't think I need the Super Duke 1290.
I tried it and although the bike is extremely fast, I can't really ever fully crack the throttle open on the street.
I just sold my Ducati XDS with similar hp and torque and I could never really use it all. I was blowing through rear tires at 35-3700 miles and it seems as though I can ride the 790 Duke as quickly as the Ducati! The 790 pulls just fine (especially with the shift assist) and I find that it is easier to turn in on the 790 vs the 1290. The 790 accelerates up to 100mph really quickly and as a naked is about as fast as I really need to go in between the corners. I also think there is actually more legroom on the 790 vs the 1290, the 1290 has more of a knee bend.
The 790 just really put a smile on my face, incredible motor and overall handling.
J D and YoungLion like this.

Last edited by toddhollander; 01-26-2020 at 02:47 PM.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:56 AM
SuperDuker

Quote:
I agree with your thoughts about the suspension, I am looking into the WP Apex upgrade with proper spring weights for my 240 lbs. with full gear. (I actually weighed myself last night with ATG)
After a test ride I don't think I need the Super Duke 1290.
I tried it and although the bike is extremely fast, I can't really ever fully crack the throttle open on the street.
I just sold my Ducati XDS with similar hp and torque and I could never really use it all. I was blowing through rear tires at 35-3700 miles and it seems as though I can ride the 790 Duke as quickly as the Ducati! The 790 pulls just fine (especially with the shift assist) and I find that it is easier to turn in on the 790 vs the 1290. The 790 accelerates up to 100mph really quickly and as a naked is about as fast as I really need to go in between the corners. I also think there is actually more legroom on the 790 vs the 1290, the 1290 has more of a knee bend.
The 790 just really put a smile on my face, incredible motor and overall handling .
Great, glad you like the 790, i love mine. I fitted a nitron R2 shock, and its amazing, i went for a softish spring weight where i could get a 12mm free sag and 36mm rider sag, and Matris fork kit, lighter springs 30mm free sag and 42mm rider sag (from memory) and i went for a 2.5 weight oil over the supplied 5 weight. (5 weight felt a little harsh as the valving was set for 8.5nm springs) Bike is now amazingly compliant but still brilliant on track. The Matris fork kit is real quality, stock springs they supplied were 8.5 but went for 7.0 in the end. Happy riding. Dave. Oh PS, I've had 2 1290 KTMs, first had the 1290R, loved if, bloody awesome all-round bike, i traded it for the 1290GT, but i missed the R for track duties, so tried an MV, hated it then got the 790.

Last edited by DaveNZ; 01-27-2020 at 01:58 AM.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Great, glad you like the 790, i love mine. I fitted a nitron R2 shock, and its amazing, i went for a softish spring weight where i could get a 12mm free sag and 36mm rider sag, and Matris fork kit, lighter springs 30mm free sag and 42mm rider sag (from memory) and i went for a 2.5 weight oil over the supplied 5 weight. (5 weight felt a little harsh as the valving was set for 8.5nm springs) Bike is now amazingly compliant but still brilliant on track. The Matris fork kit is real quality, stock springs they supplied were 8.5 but went for 7.0 in the end. Happy riding. Dave. Oh PS, I've had 2 1290 KTMs, first had the 1290R, loved if, bloody awesome all-round bike, i traded it for the 1290GT, but i missed the R for track duties, so tried an MV, hated it then got the 790.
It sounds like you have the perfect set up, would you mind telling me your weight?
I put on a Nitron R3 rear shock and Andreani cartridges in the front forks on the Ducati, the suspension was still miserable with sharp impacts. All of which were supposedly set up for my weight and desire for a "plush" ride.
It seems as though most aftermarket suspension set ups are for track use, I would like a real road setup.
I will never track the bike, but I do enjoy a pretty spirited ride from time to time.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 01:13 PM
SuperDuker

Quote:
It sounds like you have the perfect set up, would you mind telling me your weight?
I put on a Nitron R3 rear shock and Andreani cartridges in the front forks on the Ducati, the suspension was still miserable with sharp impacts. All of which were supposedly set up for my weight and desire for a "plush" ride.
It seems as though most aftermarket suspension set ups are for track use, I would like a real road setup.
I will never track the bike, but I do enjoy a pretty spirited ride from time to time.
Im about 76 kgs in my undies. Nitro R3 is more track orientated shock, the R2 more sporty road, the Matris fork kit came with springs supposedly for my weight, but were too heavy a weight, so fitted a lighter set, which left the valving a little harsh, he was going to drill out the valves and dyno test, but in the meantime i removed the 5W oil and fitted 2.5 weight, wow that little bit of harshness gone. Im still booked in to have the valves done but I'm very happy now how it all works, ill see what he says after the dyno test. But the valves and test come with the service of buying the the kit from him. The Matris stock setup will suit guys around 90kgs id say.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:39 AM

Anyone who does this mod, please post pics. Really curious how it looks.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve841 View Post
Anyone who does this mod, please post pics. Really curious how it looks.
The mirrors and mount get here on Thursday, I'll report back.
steve841 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page