790 DUKE manufacturing moving to China in 2020 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 9Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

790 DUKE manufacturing moving to China in 2020

I've been watching for this since the KTM/CFMOTO partnership was announced, and it looks like it's finally happening. I picked up my 790 in Sept because I would rather have an Austrian built bike, and the rumors of the move were out there. The plant opens in June 2020. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I wanted to avoid the first generation of bikes coming out of a new Chinese factory.
https://www.webbikeworld.com/ktm-and...o-join-forces/
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 02:44 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
What if the manufacturing is held to an even higher standard in china?

Forum Admin.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 03:18 AM

It’s practically impossible to buy nothing made in PRC but l always source bigger purchases made in other countries when l can
J D likes this.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Road to Victory

Garage
European ones will continue to be made in Europe.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 11:32 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbagris View Post
European ones will continue to be made in Europe.
Does that mean that the European populace will receive models only produced in Europe?

Personally not a fan of the saturation of Chinese products, (here in the USA), but their quality standards for higher-end products have definitely improved greatly.

Forum Admin.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2019, 01:37 PM

Personally, I would not consider for a moment buying a motorcycle manufactured in China. In my experience, Chinese products are made to be disposable. I've not found anything made there that I would consider high quality. I've recently done quite a bit of renovation on a home, and became appalled that so many items simply are not available from anywhere but China. Absolutely would not buy a motorcycle made in China.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 04:36 AM
Road to Victory

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Does that mean that the European populace will receive models only produced in Europe?.
From what I read a while back when KTM announced the deal - The deal with China was to help supply the growing Asian sector. And let's be clear here the growth market is Asia. Shipping wise it makes sense to use China to supply the PacRim.

ime of Chinese mfr - the issue is not the fabrication but the QC. QC is what pushes prices up as it is usually HUMAN based. I remember reading that 1 in 4 Mercedes fails to pass QC the first time.

Thing is that folk want cheap stuff so many importers etc simply do not do their own QC. I've a contact on the optics industry that has everything made in China - but has his own employees in there doing QC. Almost no customer issues. Yes his stuff costs more than pure Chinese imports made in the same factory.

Bear in mind that Europe is not that big. And for the huge majority there is now no real customs (Brexit may change things for the UK guys).
Stephano likes this.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 01:14 AM

Garage
Ehh the Austrians let a lot slip by as far as QC is concerned. Screw it, let China take a crack at it lol.

2019 KTM 790 Duke
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 01:28 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj790duke View Post
Ehh the Austrians let a lot slip by as far as QC is concerned. Screw it, let China take a crack at it lol.

dma likes this.

Forum Admin.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbagris View Post
From what I read a while back when KTM announced the deal - The deal with China was to help supply the growing Asian sector. And let's be clear here the growth market is Asia. Shipping wise it makes sense to use China to supply the PacRim.

ime of Chinese mfr - the issue is not the fabrication but the QC. QC is what pushes prices up as it is usually HUMAN based. I remember reading that 1 in 4 Mercedes fails to pass QC the first time.

Thing is that folk want cheap stuff so many importers etc simply do not do their own QC. I've a contact on the optics industry that has everything made in China - but has his own employees in there doing QC. Almost no customer issues. Yes his stuff costs more than pure Chinese imports made in the same factory.

Bear in mind that Europe is not that big. And for the huge majority there is now no real customs (Brexit may change things for the UK guys).

Spoke with KTM Dealer, they were told by KTM, only V2 and the single (Enduro, MC) are going to be made in Austria.
The CFmoto/KTM factory is way higher standard, then the one at HQ. Fun fact, the fail rate on 790 made in austria is actually the highest of all KTM bikes. Lets hope they move quicker to PRC

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page