average fuel consumption figure way off! - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

average fuel consumption figure way off!

I bought the 790 duke in Sydney Australia about a month ago, and just finding the average fuel consumption way too optimistic. so last fill up it averaged 3.7L/100KM, but in fact I've used just over 5L/100KM. Does anyone have similar issues? the Firmware version is 00.17. the Range hovers between 300 to 400KM just after fill up, which is kind of impossible to achieve.

One other strange thing that was happening the fuel gauge will be full everytime I start the bike, then it will go into its proper level in 5mins. But after the last fill up it seems to be behaving normally again. Very bizarre.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 02:14 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
I bought the 790 duke in Sydney Australia about a month ago, and just finding the average fuel consumption way too optimistic. so last fill up it averaged 3.7L/100KM, but in fact I've used just over 5L/100KM. Does anyone have similar issues? the Firmware version is 00.17. the Range hovers between 300 to 400KM just after fill up, which is kind of impossible to achieve.

One other strange thing that was happening the fuel gauge will be full everytime I start the bike, then it will go into its proper level in 5mins. But after the last fill up it seems to be behaving normally again. Very bizarre.
Hi Davo,

Welcome to our Group of 790 Dukers!

Fuel mpg/Km will vary wildly between all of us here, depending on if you're super-mellow with the gas/shifting/commuting, or if you're out rippin' on the daily romp. How many Km's are on your bike now?

Forum Admin.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 03:48 PM

Garage
Hi Davo,

I was curious about fuel consumption, accuracy of speedo and odometer a while back. Did some comparisons against my gps. I ought to repeat the exercise to see if the results remain valid but here's a link to the original work I did: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019...mongst-us.html .

Cheers,

Geoff
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 05:31 PM

Hi Davo

They all appear overly optimistic. I’m certain after 5000 km that my actual average is 4.5 but trip computer reads 3.4 to 3.7. This causes the remaining range to be out by the same percentage
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Quote:

Hi Davo,

Welcome to our Group of 790 Dukers!

Fuel mpg/Km will vary wildly between all of us here, depending on if you're super-mellow with the gas/shifting/commuting, or if you're out rippin' on the daily romp. How many Km's are on your bike now?
Thanks for the reply JD. It's hard not to give it the beans time to time, although I'm still in the break in period so I try to restrain myself a bit. The bike has done about 700km so far.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Hi Davo,

I was curious about fuel consumption, accuracy of speedo and odometer a while back. Did some comparisons against my gps. I ought to repeat the exercise to see if the results remain valid but here's a link to the original work I did: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019...mongst-us.html .

Cheers,

Geoff
Wow Geoff, awesome review. I checked my speedo vs gps and they are around 2 to 3 percent difference, so in that regard it's pretty accurate. Much better than my old mt03 which was 10 percent off. But the fuel calculation on the Duke is rubbish... LoL
Geoff likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo View Post
Hi Davo

They all appear overly optimistic. I’m certain after 5000 km that my actual average is 4.5 but trip computer reads 3.4 to 3.7. This causes the remaining range to be out by the same percentage
Hey Magoo. Looks like your consumption figure is out by roughly the same as mine. So I reckon this is a standard Duke issue
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:23 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
Mine seems to be pretty close to real. Usually filling up with about 300km on the trip and takes about 12L. Varies a bit depending on my riding - but seems fine to me.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbagris View Post
Mine seems to be pretty close to real. Usually filling up with about 300km on the trip and takes about 12L. Varies a bit depending on my riding - but seems fine to me.
Hey Barbagris, which firmware version do yo have? Mine is 00.17
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 02:35 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
Quote:
Hey Barbagris, which firmware version do yo have? Mine is 00.17
If I understand the dash correctly I'm on 1.02.

If you are on 00.17 then it is also very possible that the ECU maps are outdated. My 790 was second hand so I took it to KTM and had it brought up to date. There were 3 upgrades DASH, ECU and HEADLIGHT. The DASH clock was not working so the DASH was replaced anyway 14 days later.

Small steps - Day by Day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page