How far once fuel shows zero? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 8Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

How far once fuel shows zero?

Just how far can you ride once the computer says you have zero miles/kms left? I rode another 15kms home, looked in the tank and I could see a fair bit of fuel. Rode another 8 km to the fuel station and filled up. Question is how far could I have gone with a zero fuel readout?
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 09:48 AM

Wink

Only one way to find out

Let us know after you try it

owl and Chic like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:28 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
Just how far can you ride once the computer says you have zero miles/kms left? I rode another 15kms home, looked in the tank and I could see a fair bit of fuel. Rode another 8 km to the fuel station and filled up. Question is how far could I have gone with a zero fuel readout?
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8-apex View Post
Let us know after you try it
Haaa!

I don't know if this is factual, (but I've always tried to live by it), they say it's best not to run your tank to zero. The thinking is the particles on the bottom have the potential to clog things up.

Forum Admin.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:38 PM

Super-Moderator

Pretty easy math if you wanna know a ballpark....

- 14L tank
- fuel light came on, you rode another 23kms
- how much fuel did the bike take when you refilled it? That'll tell you how close to dead empty you were and then based on your average km/L you can figure out how many more km's you could have ridden ie if you average 10km/L (high but just for comparison sakes) and you put in 12L, you had 2L left so you had 20kms range.
colombo likes this.

My ambition outweighed my talent.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLion View Post
Pretty easy math if you wanna know a ballpark....

- 14L tank
- fuel light came on, you rode another 23kms
- how much fuel did the bike take when you refilled it? That'll tell you how close to dead empty you were and then based on your average km/L you can figure out how many more km's you could have ridden ie if you average 10km/L (high but just for comparison sakes) and you put in 12L, you had 2L left so you had 20kms range.
I cannot see that method as working. Fuel light comes on with 50km remaining, so I assume you mean fuel reads zero.
Filling the bike is difficult with only a sidestand, and there is no guarantee that the fuel capacity is exactly 14 litres.
The best method I can think of (aside from running until completely out) is to run the bike to zero ensuring you are near home, disconnect the fuel line and then see how much of the remaining fuel the pump can pick up.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 01:15 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekon View Post
The exact "how far" will depend on yow you ride - and whether you have made engine mod's. Also depends how precise YOUR fuel level sensor is.

25kms past zero is about a litre of fuel based on my consumption (prior to fitting the COOBER). I seem to remember that when I last filled when I was on or near zero (and that was months ago) - the Tank took a whisper over 12.5L. In a 14L tank - that means 1.5L left - If you'd done IL more you had approx 0.5L - maybe 12kms.

My golden rule for the last 40 years has been - "Unless you know exactly where fuel is, have 1/3rd of a tank available". Fuel these days tends to be cleaner - but I have had to clear enough fuel filters to cure me of risking shyte in injectors.

If you often need to ride on the limit - If you ride solo - you could consider a 2L RackPack tank or similar. I doubt I'll ever use my 790D for distance runs - but if I move to the ADV then I'll be looking at that idea, even though they have bigger tanks.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 03:30 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
I typically fill up with one bar left. I don't push it. In a pinch though one time, I went about 30 miles after the last bar was gone and still had a bit left. I was a real pvssy with throttle though....

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 11:26 PM

KTM tanks quite often hold more than the specs state. i ran my 1290 bone dry and put in 18.9 litres in a 18 litre tank. best way is to run the bike dry. I regularly do a 220 km loop, theres no gas stations on my back road loop, i have a 3 litre bladder, and took it on my 800cc MV, it ran dry at 185 kms. (12 litres of fuel) i also took the 3 litre bladder on the 790, but it made it all the way home where it took 12 litres. So 12 litres did 220 kms of 3rd 4th and 5th gear back road riding. impressive fuel economy.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:00 PM
dma

Lol - the most I've ever squeezed in is 11.8L after an indicated 177 mile trip (284 km) - I use trip 1 for fuel, and trip 2 between services - I think there must have been be a couple of litres left in there each time I fill up.

Though I don't thrash it that much and am really impressed by the economy you can get out of this bike - think my long-term average is around 79 mpg indicated.

I'm not hanging about, just not racing through all the gears constantly.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:00 PM

DMA, that's really impressive. I don't use the bike's consumption number. I calculate the mileage on each tank. I generally get around 50 mpg. I thought that was remarkable.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page