Quickshifter off? - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quickshifter off?

Is it just me? Is anyone else choosing to turn the quickshifter off?

I just have so much muscle memory for doing my own clutchless up shifts, and doing my own clutching and blipping for downshifts; I've just not been able to get along with the quickshifter. Many many hours spent on racetracks, riding older 600s. I reversed the shift pattern because I'm so accustomed to that, but I still can't get 'at one' with the quickshifter, so I've turned it off. All my riding is on the street now, at a much slower pace. Maybe at track speeds I would grow to like the quickshifter?

Anyone else feel like this?
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:51 PM

Garage
My daily commutes are also in town and I do not use enough at low speed.
I leave it activated because it is still practical when you ride like a pig because in some corner I hold the bike better without touching the clutch when passing the top gear
Chic and J D like this.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 05:51 PM

In the very early days I tried with and without... now I would not ever consider not using it.
I will miss it on the RC390
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 PM
QCS

Super-Moderator

I have it activated but, truth be told, using the clutch for most shifts. Old habits die hard.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 01:49 AM
SuperDuker

Garage
As somebody who has never even tried clutchless shifts - it's all new to me. I find I get the downshift right almost always. Upshifting seems to work best in Sport mode and not at full chat. I find myself doing with and without.
colombo likes this.

Small steps - Day by Day.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:21 AM

Garage
I never had a quickshifter before, but have grown quite comfy using mine. On my bike for some reason the quickshift from 5-6 is clunky, so I tend not to use it then. I also noticed, like others, that upshifting is smooth only when on the gas. Downshifting has rarely caused my issues, even dropping down to 1st.

I have a buddy with a Kawasaki H2 whose never used quickshift because he fears it can wear out the transmission over the long run. IDK, maybe? But you'd think that they tested long-term QS use at the factory during stress testing.

2019 KTM Duke 790
2015 Ducati Monster 821
2002 Honda XR400R
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:39 AM

Super-Moderator

Garage
Mine is always activated, but honestly I rarely use it. I ONLY use it when I am balling off the line at a light, or hitting the back roads and want to get up to speed fast. I rarely rarely use it on the down shift. Like others have said, I am so used to clutching (and honestly feel like I have better control when doing so) that I don't even think about the QS. It is nice to have when I do want it though.

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 12:02 PM

I use mine all the time, no matter the speed no matter the gear. Works like butter 99.9% of the time.
EvansB2 likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 12:07 PM
Pgm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombo View Post
I never had a quickshifter before, but have grown quite comfy using mine. On my bike for some reason the quickshift from 5-6 is clunky, so I tend not to use it then. I also noticed, like others, that upshifting is smooth only when on the gas. Downshifting has rarely caused my issues, even dropping down to 1st.

I have a buddy with a Kawasaki H2 whose never used quickshift because he fears it can wear out the transmission over the long run. IDK, maybe? But you'd think that they tested long-term QS use at the factory during stress testing.
When quickshifters were fairly new And Ducati gearboxes were made of cheese they always blamed the quickshifter to get out of warranty claims.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:44 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgm View Post
When quickshifters were fairly new And Ducati gearboxes were made of cheese they always blamed the quickshifter to get out of warranty claims.

And that is a garbage cop out! If the QS screwed up the transmission, then don't put a qs on there!!

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page