Maxxis tyres at lower temperatures - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Maxxis tyres at lower temperatures

Resident in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, where the temperature has been hovering around 8 C these last few mornings.

Have noticed that the grip in the stock tyres has been seriously compromised at these temperatures.

Lean/speed into corners that wasnt an issue, at mid teens to twenties celsius, now results in front/rear grip loss at 8 C approx.

Covered just over 1000 miles on these tyres, almost no chicken strips.

All my previous bikes with Bridgestone or Pirellis etc. offered no issues even at temperatures hovering around 0 C (unless I as gunning it). These were more powerful bikes too with the usual traction control etc.

Has anyone else experienced lowish temperatures yet & noticed any serious deterioration in grip with the Maxxis?
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Wish You Were Here

Garage
to early to tell living in the barmy south ;-)
but these are relatively soft so i am a little surprised

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 11:41 AM
owl

Super-Moderator

Garage
Doesn't sound good for commuting through London in winter, I may have to get these swapped out sooner than I hoped for some roadtecs or PRs

Observation is the greatest source of wisdom.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Iíll post some more info if it keeps raising its head.

If it gets really bad, new tyres for me.

For the record, it was completely dry conditions. Coming home in opposite direction, noted no surface gunk etc.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:05 AM

It's winter here and I've been riding in 5 - 12C temps.
I most definitely don't feel secure on the OEM Maxxis tyres, I haven't slid or anything, there just doesn't seem to be any feel in the cold temps and I don't trust them.
I think I will be changing to PR 5's pretty soon.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:58 PM

Looks like I will be having to change those budget OE tyres sooner than I thought, I am picking up my bike next week, and itís only going to be getting colder.
The budget tyres are one of my main concerns about the bike.
I was considering Metzeler Roadtec 01ís which I found to be a very good allround tyre on my SMT, I know itís a sports touring tyre but it coped well with everything and excellent in the wet which I get lots of here in west Wales.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:24 PM

Despite the recent storms it's still around 30ļC here in the day, so not having such problems............
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Wish You Were Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencia John View Post
Despite the recent storms it's still around 30ļC here in the day, so not having such problems............

the next ice age will change that!!

Joy is riding your bike to it's limit
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 04:28 AM

Had a slide on the rear tire the other day up here in Norway, around 10 degrees, pushed a bit in a corner, but not too hard, dry road and no debree.

Quite a difference from the BT-021 tyres I had on the SMT, even if those were only sport touring, I felt a lot more confident.

Do not trust these Maxxis to bite very well nearer to 0 degrees.

Current Ride:
2018 790 Duke

Past Rides:
2010 990 SMT
2014 690 Duke
1991 Yamaha TDM 850
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:09 AM

Problem might not be the tire but pressure in them, all tires need heat to have chemical changes in them that makes them sticky. Usually optimal operating temperature is round 70 degrees if I remember correctly and in cold days if you increased tire pressure you might ride whole day without getting tires warmed up. So what you should try to do is reduce pressure in the tires until you find balance in feedback and grip.

I heard this rule of a thumb on how to quickly set up good starting point for finding optimal tire pressure, I use it with new bike/tire combo. Set pressure to manufacturer spec when cold, remember values and go ride like you normally would, after 15-30 min ( depending on how quickly you would expect tires to warm up) check tire pressure and note that pressure have increased. Good starting point is if your rear tire pressure increases by 15-20% while front increases 10-15%. If your tire pressure didn't rise as much, you need to lower the pressure in them and repeat the process. On the other hand, if your tire pressure increases more then needed you need to increase the pressure in them.

Here is how this works (or better say how tire pressure changes heat generated in them). Low pressure in the tires generates more heat while riding, and vice-versa; high tire pressure = low heat. So while riding tires generate heat and this increases air pressure in them, as pressure rises less heat is being generated. Higher the running tire temperature = more grip tire will have.

This is how I do it, I figure out tire pressure that works well for me regarding the handling (call it preferred tire pressure) and then I try to use as low cold tire pressure I can ride with from cold that will warm up the tire quickly and will get me that preferred pressure when tire is warm. Btw don't be afraid to run tire on low pressure from cold, just don't try racing it on the roads since low tire pressure will give funny feel to the handling. You can also measure tire temperature by hand, ideal temperature is when you can't keep your palm on the tire for more then a second. I always find manufacturers tire pressures to high, specially in the winter.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page