Pillion rider - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Tony
  • 1 Post By DaveNZ
  • 1 Post By djlubinski

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Pillion rider

Hi Everyone. My wife has decided she'd like to come out with me on my 790. She's been out a couple of times before, mainly on my ninja and didn't like it. I have the ktm powerparts top box mounted and she said she'd feel safer with that on.
Last weekend I took her on bike to J&S in St Albans to buy some proper gear. We couldn't find gloves she liked so she's wearing my Rukka gore-tex gloves. We went out on sunday and bank holiday monday and she loved the bike.
Anyway to cut a long story short I went to put my Rukka gloves on last night for commuting to work and I noticed the right glove was burnt and tore. Where she's holding on to top box rail the exhaust heat has just singed glove completely. Has anyone else taken a pillion and found the same problem. Where you hold on is in the firing line of the exhaust gases. I know if I leave anything inside topbox on right hand side it gets really hot.
I might have to invest in a stubby exhaust.

Cheers. Sorry for the long ramble
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rukka.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	1916  
Mullasci and J D like this.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:18 PM

Some guys have melted their tailtidy indicators with the stock pipe. Stubbier pipes are great for taking the heat away, but remember if you want to remove the CAT, and do KTM map for open pipe, a stubbier pipe will be bloody loud, I've found this out with my IXILE, nice pipe but bloody loud with link pipe, I've been experimenting with various baffles (China cheep as chips) waiting for a couple in the mail as we speak.
J D likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:17 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
Yea I think the only way around that is a short exhaust!

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:13 AM

My wife just started riding along with me... I don't have a Top Case or Bags so she holds onto either the rear handle or just around my waist. She's never had issues with heat from the exhaust that way. I have the stock exhaust installed.
J D likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page