Pre-ride exercises, warm up - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Question Pre-ride exercises, warm up

Hi all, I hate to admit this but I'd have to say I'm not very physically fit and tbo pretty stiff. I haven't riden much in the past three years and suffer from lower back pain, not all the time but it's certainly an issue, a sedentary lifestyle and sedentary desk job. Ironically I bought the 790D as my old 1977 Kawasaki Z1000A1 was just getting a bit heavy for my ageing bones

It's not the weight of the 790 that's an issue as it's 10 stones lighter than the Zed!!, and when I'm on the move I'm fine, it's really just initially getting my stiff limbs over the seat, and getting back off again. This will possibly become more of an issue when the PP tail bag arrives and I have to creak my leg over that as well

Does anyone have any pre-ride tips for limbering up, even more generally that would assist me over time?

I forgot how physically demanding riding a bike can be, and find I'm not really moving about and altering my weight about the seat like ti used to do due to being so stiff
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
If I’m planning on riding for more than an hour, I always do warm up exercises & if I remember “warm down” exercises.

Ride magazine printed some a few years back & it definitely makes a big difference as I can ride “spiritedly” all day without much in the way of aches & pains.

The areas I concentrate on are:
LOWER BACK, hold right elbow with left hand & gently twist upper torso 10 times, swap to other elbow/hand & repeat.
HIPS, stand on left leg (maybe hold onto something until you get used to it!) lift right leg until thigh is parallel to ground, move right knee to the right gently until you feel the hamstrings pulls a little bit, return knee to in front of you, repeat 6 times.
HIPS, BACK COMBO, stand with feet shoulder width apart, arms out in front of you as if holding handlebars, squat down as if on your bike & back up again, repeat 10 times.
SHOULDERS. shrug shoulders up, down in a circular movement, 6 times.
NECK, gently turn your head left then right as far as is comfortable 6 times.
WRISTS, roll wrists in a circular motion 10 times.

Sorry it’s a bit long, but really only takes 5 minutes & you may look/feel a bit silly, but you won’t be the one aching at the end of you ride

Enjoy your 790, I’m smiling every time I ride.
John Alexander likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that GRD, I'll definitely give your great tips a go and hopefully will improve over time!!

J
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Pgm

Garage
I can confirm it certainly takes a little more effort to get the leg up and over the pp tailbag.😁
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgm View Post
I can confirm it certainly takes a little more effort to get the leg up and over the pp tailbag.😁
See post number 2 , re being able to get your leg a bit higher!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

That's what I thought!!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:37 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
Perhaps this will help?

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:41 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
"Well done Chrissy!" I second that..

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:30 PM

Garage
I'm 72 in 2 months and have damaged knees from old sporting injuries. I find that half an hour on an exercycle most days makes a massive difference to my comfort. It's not so much when I'm on the bike when the problem arises but walking around when I get off. Cycling regularly really does make a worthwhile difference in keeping joints freed up.

I used to take part in the NZ Iron Butt 1600 km in under 24 hours events. For long rides like that, the most effective way of coping was to simply build up the distances over the preceding few weeks to get ride fit, then do stretches at every gas stop.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 05:07 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Excellent topic!

I always do a few minutes of stretching before a moto (or mtn bicycle), ride. It's a 'must-do'.

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page