6Likes
  • 2 Post By mcbagpiper
  • 2 Post By mcbagpiper
  • 2 Post By DaveNZ

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Supermoto Mode

Anyone run it? When do you use it? Feel any difference in performance?

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:41 AM

I don't have my 790 yet (trading in my 690 enduro next week) - but from what I've read I think supermoto mode is to allow for the ABS to be turned off on the rear wheel while keeping it activated on the front wheel. In other words, lock up the rear all you want to back it into corners! Not sure if they have different mapping for the engine tune under that mode.
DaveNZ and J D like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbagpiper View Post
I don't have my 790 yet (trading in my 690 enduro next week) - but from what I've read I think supermoto mode is to allow for the ABS to be turned off on the rear wheel while keeping it activated on the front wheel. In other words, lock up the rear all you want to back it into corners! Not sure if they have different mapping for the engine tune under that mode.
Yep that is exactly what it does. I never rode supermoto, not sure that I would feel comfy locking up the rear wheel on street (do it on dirt all the time) either. Just wondering if anyone has used this mode and to elaborate on it.

BTW, I have been trying to get my brother to trade in his 690 Enduro for the 790 as well. What was your final determining factor?

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Oh yea and welcome to the forum!! You should introduce yourself in Member Introduction section.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:52 PM

When I bought the 690 I thought I'd take it off road...but all my riding buddies ride on the street and I've spent lots of time on the track and none on the dirt, so it just never happened.

I bought supermoto wheels for the bike, which helped...but never felt planted enough on the street when going above 120km/h.

Good power though, impressive for a thumper.
Mullasci and J D like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:57 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic View Post
Oh yea and welcome to the forum!! You should introduce yourself in Member Introduction section.
I moved his last post over to the NM section.

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
When I bought the 690 I thought I'd take it off road...but all my riding buddies ride on the street and I've spent lots of time on the track and none on the dirt, so it just never happened.

I bought supermoto wheels for the bike, which helped...but never felt planted enough on the street when going above 120km/h.

Funny you say that. My brother took his off road 3 times, years ago and hasn't been back on dirt since. I think that is his driving factor but he does like his bike at the moment. As soon as he comes to visit and gets to ride mine though I think his tune will change quickly!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I had a tricked out 640, but i never felt the confidence to pust it balls out on back roads or the track, their flexable frame killed any feel near the limit, so i sold the 640 to a mate, brought a MV Rivale 800, hated it, traded it 2 months later on the 790, best move I've done in ages, loving the confidence the 790 affords me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	1872  
Chic and J D like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:35 PM

Ive been thinking about the Super moto mode on the KTMs, as both my 1290's have had it also, but for me, the mode or moto riding, sliding the rear under brake lock up, more suits the Motard bikes like the 640, 690 etc, the Motards have a lot of flex in their frames, and being cranked over at 45 degrees or more simply isn't the best way to get around tight corners, hence keep the bike upright, slide the rear into the corner and fire the bike out upright. Works perfectly on a motard, but the 790 has such great cornering manners, moto mode isn't really necessary.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Super-Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
Ive been thinking about the Super moto mode on the KTMs, as both my 1290's have had it also, but for me, the mode or moto riding, sliding the rear under brake lock up, more suits the Motard bikes like the 640, 690 etc, the Motards have a lot of flex in their frames, and being cranked over at 45 degrees or more simply isn't the best way to get around tight corners, hence keep the bike upright, slide the rear into the corner and fire the bike out upright. Works perfectly on a motard, but the 790 has such great cornering manners, moto mode isn't really necessary.

Excellent point!! Not to mention the fact that I don't feel like the 790 is built to ride it that way.

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page