Just before buying - 2018 KTM 790 Duke Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Adam So

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Just before buying

I am about to purchase a new 790... and a minute before making the jump I wanted to get an opinion if this is the right bike for a daily commute of 40K each direction with some heavy traffic part of the way (~50%)
thanks in advanced
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:14 AM
Pgm

Garage
I would say itís almost made for it.
Sure there may be a couple of things that niggle but show me the perfect bike.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:05 PM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
Yessss. Great for commuting: Light-weight, highly nimble, strong torque down low, narrow package, what could be better for commuting?

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:32 PM

Super-Moderator

Garage
I know this is probably after you already bought, but what the ****....I commute about the same (30 miles) and have been for the last 3-4 months. I hit some traffic but not a whole lot.

I find the stock seat very uncomfortable after about 25 mins of just sitting there. It is fine riding at speed, I think cause the wind helps make me move around, but the slight lean angle forward starts to numb my rears if I don't shift in the saddle. While moving though, I am fine for hours. Aside from that, like JD said, the low end torque and the ease of moving slowly and having that power there makes slow moving traffic a breeze. The rest of the ergos are fine as well. My hands get a little numb but again I think that's the position fixed rather than moving around. I think the only thing that may be more comfy is a couch on wheels (goldwing) but the size of the bike makes it easy to move around at slow speeds. If you haven't already....go buy it!

Keep the rubber side down!

R.I.P:
RT180
YZ125
R1
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:58 PM
QCS

Super-Moderator

For 40 clicks one way, you should not have any problem. This bike is a very good commuter. As JD mentioned: light, very quick and great engine. Beats commuting on a sport-bike any day. Best, easiest commuter I have ever had, and I have been using a bike as a commuter, on and off -- mainly on, for the past 25 years.

Where are you doing your commuting?

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...

Last edited by QCS; 08-18-2019 at 08:03 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehud Lerner View Post
I am about to purchase a new 790... and a minute before making the jump I wanted to get an opinion if this is the right bike for a daily commute of 40K each direction with some heavy traffic part of the way (~50%)
thanks in advance
Fantastic all-rounder. I would make sure you break the engine in properly and keep an eye on oil consumption. Mine is getting a new engine installed as I write this. And it's been off the road for a total of 13 weeks.

These bikes are great while they are running great. If you have a problem, let's just say that KTM Aus customer service is happy to make you wait forever!

FYI the rock hard seat does get softer with time. I wouldn't waste my money on the comfort seat, not much difference Imo.

Cheers
J D likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:57 AM
J D

Eye In The Sky

Garage
A loaner bike wasnít an option? Dayem, thatís a long time, I hope youíre getting some reimbursement as well.

Forum Admin. Sin Limites..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:59 AM
QCS

Super-Moderator

I think I know the dealer very well. If I am not mistaken, he sold me and my friends multiple bikes... They have loaners or at least bikes available for longer test rides.

I ride because my wife says it keeps me young and is better than if I get a girlfriend...

Last edited by QCS; 08-19-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page