KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Early fueling issues etc

65K views 127 replies 40 participants last post by  648 
#1 ·
Finding the throttle incredibly snatchy

Mirrors move out of position when travelling above 60mph

Travelling at any speed below 35mph is horrible as the bike surges up and down the rev range

Anyone else finding their bike the same?

#3 ·
Hey Depster, sorry to hear about the issues.

Are you running stock mirrors on the stalks?

I haven’t had the issues you mention, other than it’s being slightly snatchy down low, but only really in sport/track mode.

Some have had success with a booster plug and other have said it seems to be more prevalent before the first service.

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boosterplug-ktm-790-747p.html

Apparently there’s firmware 0.20 on the way which is supposed to help too.

#9 ·
Im pretty sure the Boosterplug is a Dutch product.

You can buy one here https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boosterplug-ktm-790-747p.html

fitting the Boosterplug takes 5 minutes. Undo the two screws holding the front seat on and there is the air sensor, unplug the air sensor and plug in the Boosterplug, dump the boosterplug sensor in the space under the back seat, replace the front seat, job done.

Takes about 5 mins, you wont even have time to crack a beer!

I actually just bought another to fit to the 390 Duke i just got for the missus :)

#10 ·
hi
to fit neatly takes a bit longer than this I would allow 30-45mins
Remove front seat and to mount booster plug and probe remove petrol tank plastic outer cover
very easy to access the required connector located on top of airbox at the back of petrol tank
I wanted to mount temp probe at headlight location to avoid engine heat
I mounted booster plug onto inner petrol tank below the welded seam fitted very well and completely hidden once the petrol tank plastic outer cover is replaced
I still found the temperature probe lead to be a little short and mounted it to the back edge of the LHS for leg

hope this helps

#11 ·
Yeah its a shame the probe lead isnt a few inches longer to get it up and under the dash. The main thing is to have it not touching anything metal like the frame that might conduct heat, keep it away from anything that gets hot like the radiator or cylinder head and to also keep it out of direct sunlight.

#14 ·
Hi all,still running my 790 in and throttle is a bit hunty low down on constant throttle openings but not to bad. Ive had bikes which have been just as bad and some even worse.Its just one of those things with all the emissions crap these days.
Not had a problem with the mirrors,just make sure the locknut on the base of the mirror is nipped up nice and tight.
Only real issue is a difficulty getting into neutral when at a standstill but as I said I am still running in, so hopefully the gearbox will loosen of a bit.Anyone else out there had the neutral problem?
Fitted an Evotech rad guard yesterday.Excellent bit of kit if a little expensive but with the usual Evotech quality.Tidies up the look of the rad to.
Will sign of for now.
Ride Safe:)

#18 ·
Hi all. I've done just about 750 miles on mine now. I too have been suffering with the snatchy throttle but it is improving as I click the miles off. Another thing I was worried about was the chain, according to the manual it's very loose. I told mechanic when I had the first service done about it and he said it was fine. Anybody else think the chain is loose. P.S. This is my first Ktm. Cheers

#21 ·
Hi Owl,the rad guard is pretty easy to fit.When I first looked at it I thought how the **** does that fit!!but it is actually a really neat clever fit as the 2 end pieces slip over the ends of the rad and the main piece of the guard holds them on.Makes the rad look a hole lot neater.Will get a picture on for you to have a look as soon as.
Gearbox is really slick and finding neutral seems to be getting a bit better, it seems to alter itself, one minute doesnt seem to be
a problem the next it can be a pain.Really weird but its still early days.

#23 ·
KTM chain tension methods can sometimes be a bit odd or vague but as Owl says its a good idea to sit on the bike when you have set the chain tension just to make sure there is still enough slack in the chain.The 790 chain does look a bit slack when set but when you sit on the bike it seems just about right.
What I usually do with a new bike is when I get the chain set so it seems right, and with the bike just on the sidestand, I find a spot on the lower chain run where I can lift the chain so it just comes into contact with the bottom of the swingarm or bottom slider and then I can easily check it when I alter the adjusters.
I usually still have a quick look when sat on the bike just to be sure.I know it sounds a bit long winded but it works for me.
It is better to have the chain a bit slack than to have it a bit tight.
Hope this helps.

#26 ·
Hi
Just joined today but interested to see the topics raised are very common to all.
I traded my 1290 SuperDuke R in for the 790 after taking a long test ride - just found the 790 to be much easier to handle and live with in the real world. The SDR was sublimely comfortable to ride and of course effortlessly powerful - but it was top heavy when parking or moving in and out of the garage on a slope - anxious! The 790 is so much easier to handle and move around and you can actually open the throttle without breaking every speed limit in existence. The 790 can be used to 80 -100% of it's abilities on the road - SDR maybe 20%???
Issues so far:
1) Was the snatchy and hunting throttle response at low revs - I ordered a Booster Plug but found I didn't need it after the first service where the ECU must have been remapped. Trying the Booster Plug afterwards just made the acceleration less snappy - and removed the gorgeous pops and bangs from the exhaust on overrun. So not necessary.
2) The other issue I have noticed is a drip of coolant from somewhere behind the radiator when the bike is started from cold. It drips directly onto the RH oxygen sensor on the RH header pipe. It stops when the bike warms up.
My brother from Oz says that new Hondas have a similar trick and that it is due to the use of ceramic seals!
Anybody seen/had the same problem?

#38 ·
Hi Bathmate,
Just had a leak in a radiator hose fixed at first service, it is apparently a known issue fixed under warranty, the material the hose is made of is too porous but KTM have a replacement one, dealer said a few bikes have had the issue so might be worth getting the replacement.

#27 ·
No leaks so far, touch wood, although this has made me realise I really need to clean my Duke.
There's been remarkably little rain here so it's not that bad but could definitely do with a scrub.

If anyone could do me a favour, my right peg and back brake lever feel a bit awkward, if someone could just take a few pictures of theirs from a few angles (top down too) just for reference if/when you get a chance and post them here. I just want to make sure nothing is bent/out of place. If not I'll try get down to the dealer this weekend to take a look at the demo bike.

Much appreciated.

#28 ·
Hi everyone. Throttle response getting better the more miles I put on the duke. Orangerok, I like the rad guard, have you noticed any temperature increase from the engine at all. I know on some bikes a guard restricts air flow. I haven't noticed any coolant leak on mine. I'll have to keep an eye on it. As for the chain tension, I put bike on paddock stand and used a ratchet strap to compress suspension and get the top of the chain tight and then see how much slack the bottom of the chain had. Cheers

#30 ·
Hi Bathmate,welcome.I too traded in my 1290 SDR for the 790.Get what you mean about the ease even though I didnt feel the 1290 to be heavy.It was an awsome bike,covered 20,000mls in under 3 years.Just the electronics that were rubbish so just ran with TC off.LOooads of fun:)
Not had any leaks out of the 790 so far,just the front forks seem to be weeping a tiny bit,probably still bedding in.Will see how they go.Sounds good about the snatchy thottle being sorted on the first service.

Ride Safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.